This study was supported by the Florida Statewide Transit Training and Technical Assistance (STTAT) Program in partnership between the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) and the Center for Urban Transportation Research (CUTR) at the University of South Florida (USF). With an understanding that hiring and retention have been challenging for many industries, including the transit industry, many agencies have recently made changes to attempt to attract and retain more talented and diverse individuals. In an effort to understand what is being done, what is working, and what still needs to be solved, the research team decided to survey transit agencies throughout the state.
This whitepaper also includes six case study sites from Florida transit agencies that were selected due to a variety of characteristics, including their cumulative representativeness of vacancies in every department. Additionally, the case study agencies were selected due to the various partnerships and implemented service changes that they mentioned in their survey responses. One additional non-Florida transit agency was interviewed as a case study due to their defined success in the use of online job advertisements to attract new applicants.
Case study sites:
- Brevard Achievement Center, Inc.
- Big Bend Transit
- Citrus Connection
- City of Key West/Key West Transit
- Pinellas Suncoast Transit Authority
- Norwalk Transit District
- 01 Nov 2023Everyone can be a Leader
- 19 Oct 2023Never Surprise Them at the Podium – Building Relationships and Informing Decision Makers in Advance
- 19 Oct 2023Uncovering the Truth Bus Accident Investigation
- 06 Oct 2023University of Vermont. Get Moving: Careers in Transit
- 06 Oct 2023National Network for the Transportation Workforce has a National Transportation Career Pathways Initiative
- 06 Oct 2023Advancing Frontline Workforce Development Meeting: Synthesis
- 06 Oct 2023Attracting, Retaining, and Advancing Women in Transit
- 06 Oct 2023Applying Good Business Practices: Hiring, Training, and Evaluating Employees
- 21 Sep 2023FDOT, CUTR, and TWC Announce Bus Operator and Transit Technician Apprenticeship Academy
- 28 Jul 2023Report by Transit Center: People First