TRB’s Transit Cooperative Research Program (TCRP) Report 184: Maintenance Technician Staffing Levels for Modern Public Transit Fleets identifies existing tools and practices used to determine optimum maintenance technician staffing levels. The report also provides an analysis of variables that influence maintenance technician staffing needs.
In addition, the report documents an MS Excel-based Maintenance Staffing Calculator produced along with the report. The tool is designed to help managers of transit agencies of any size to:
(1) break down staff by location or sub-fleet;
(2) adjust raw employee numbers to full-time equivalents and available productive hours using information on current technician staffing, other employees contributing to maintenance, breaks, vacations, and shift information;
(3) calculate preventive maintenance, core maintenance, and unscheduled maintenance task hours required by sub-fleet;
(4) calculate heavy maintenance and repair hours required;
(5) model effects on staffing of changes to fleet composition or usage;
(6) model effects on staffing of changes to maintenance times or intervals, accounting for overtime required; and
(7) compare results to a group of peer agencies.
TCRP Report 184 resources available online include the following:
* The Maintenance Staffing Calculator User Guide
* Maintenance Staffing Calculator
* A completed example case showing how the Calculator works
* A PowerPoint presentation providing a summary of the work done under TCRP Project E-10
Maintenance Staffing Calculator Disclaimer – This software is offered as is, without warranty or promise of support of any kind either expressed or implied. Under no circumstance will the National Academy of Sciences or the Transportation Research Board (collectively “TRB”) be liable for any loss or damage caused by the installation or operation of this product. TRB makes no representation or warranty of any kind, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, including without limitation, the warranty of merchantability or the warranty of fitness for a particular purpose, and shall not in any case be liable for any consequential or special damages.