TRB’s Transit Cooperative Research Program (TCRP) Synthesis 133: Administration of ADA Paratransit Eligibility Appeal Programs identifies ADA eligibility appeal processes and documents current practices of transit systems.
ADA paratransit eligibility appeal programs allow appellants the opportunity to present new information not provided or available during the initial eligibility decision that may warrant a change in eligibility determination. At the same time, any appeal program must consistently apply the decision-making standards established by the agency’s ADA paratransit certification program. As more agencies employ some form of conditional eligibility, eligibility appeal processes are emerging as a significant area of vulnerability. If the eligibility appeal process is not administered properly, transit agencies run the risk of violating applicants’ civil rights under the ADA or Title VI requirements.
Although several reports describe transit agency practices for determining eligibility for ADA paratransit service, little has been documented about how transit agencies manage appeals by applicants who are determined to be “not eligible” or who are found “conditionally eligible,” including temporary eligibility. View Report
- 07 Nov 2022Incorporating ride-sourcing services into paratransit for people with disabilities: Opportunities and barriers
- 07 Nov 2022Paratransit services for people with disabilities in the Seattle region during the COVID-19 pandemic: Lessons for recovery planning
- 07 Nov 2022Barriers and opportunities for paratransit users to adopt on-demand micro transit
- 07 Nov 2022Intelligent Paratransit
- 07 Nov 2022Hybrid scheduling methods for paratransit operations
- 07 Nov 2022On-demand microtransit and paratransit service using autonomous vehicles: Gaps and opportunities in accessibility policy
- 31 Oct 2022Transit Workforce Shortage
- 25 Oct 2022Serving People with Autism on Transportation
- 12 Oct 2022Microtransit Definitions, Trends, and Applications
- 12 Oct 2022Microtransit: On-Demand and Open to All